Roger Emmanuel, Managing Director
Hi my name is Roger and I am an Owner/Director of Exceptional Safaries, Ltd. My family has been in the East African tourism business for over 50 years. My father was a National Park safari guide for 35 years before establishing a family owned touring company 15 years ago. I began my tourism career as a porter and then a mountain guide on Mount Kilimanjaro 13 years ago.
Today, Exceptional Safaries specializes in Charity National Park Photo Safaris and customized tours throughout East Africa including the spice island of Zanzibar, the Lake Victoria region and the countries of Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. The family owned mountain tour company specializes in Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru day trips and 5-10 day extended mountain tours. Together we offer a wide array of services, affordability ranges and personalized experiences.
I invite you to take a look around our site and contact me to discuss your questions and concerns. I look forward to creating exceptional memories for you, your family and your friends.
FAQ Safari and Trekking
Q1. Do you have any groups I could join?
- Please contact me and I will be happy to inform you of your options
Q2. What type of vehicles will we be traveling in?
- You will be traveling in a safari converted Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4.
Q3. When is the best time for game viewing?
- Exceptional game viewing depends on the region you wish to see. Please contact me to discuss your itinerary,
Q4. What clothing and other items should I take with me on safari?
- Please see the safari gear list
Q1. Do you have available groups that I could join?
- There are often open groups for you to join. Please contact me to discuss.
Q2. When is the best time to climb?
- Mid June through October and late December through early March
Q3. What is included in the cost of climbing?
- Airport transfer
- Hotel accommodations before and after mountain trek
- Transportation to and from park gates
- Mountain guide and porters sakaries
- Chef and 3 meals daily
- Camp/hut fees and equipment
- All park entry and rescue fees
- Plenty of clean water throughout the climb
Q4. What is not included in the rate?
- Tips for guide and porters (please refer to suggested tipping guide)
- Items of personal nature (please refer to mountain gear list)
Q5. Do you provide rescue on the mountain?
- All rescues are carried out by KINAPA (Kilimanjaro National Park)
Q6. Do you recommend any medicine for prevention of high altitude sickness?
- We recommend that you consult your physician first
Q7. Is water included in the rate?
- Yes, plenty of clean water is included in the rate
Q8. Do you provide Oxygen/Portable Altitude Chamber?
- An oxygen tank is transported on your climb and available for emergency use
- A portable oxygen chamber is available for hire.
Q9. Is transportation to and from park gates included in the rate?
Q10. Do you provide any equipment?
- We provide tents, sleeping mattresses, pillows and trekking poles. You will need to bring you own personal sleeping bag. (Please see mountain gear list)
Q11. Where do we sleep while on the mountain?
- On the Marangu Route, you sleep in huts while on all other routes you will be sleeping in tents.
Q1. What payment methods to you accept?
- We accept cash, bank wire transfer, Wester Union money transfer, credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) and Travelerscheques in US Dollars, Pound sterling and Euro. There are specific conditions for safe and secure money transfers. Please contact me to discuss the specifics.
Q2. Do I need to send a deposit?
- Yes, Once you confirm your itinerary, we will require a 50% deposit to begin the necessary booking process.
What makes us EXCEPTIONAL?
- We are a locally owned tour company and we take the time to understand our client’s needs and cater to them accordingly.
- We don’t set any rules for your desired experience. You tell us what you want to do, where you want to go and how much time you have to spend and we will create your personalized tour.
- Our expert safari and mountain guides will happily explain all that you will see and are available to serve you in many languages including Swahili, English, Spanish and Italian.
- We are one of the few mountain tour companies that pay mountain guides and crew the government regulated salary. We do this not only because it is the right thing to do but also to ensure that we hire highly qualified individuals who will go the extra mile to provide our clients an exceptional experience.
- To ensure that we are completely accountable to our clients, we are a FULLY registered and licensed tour company for BOTH Kilimanjaro/Meru mountain and National Park safaris.
- We use only North Face Mountain Series 4-season tents for their exceptional durability and ability to keep clients out of the wind and dry.
- We ONLY use custom made 4x4 Toyota Land Cruisers with a large overhead Pop-Up Roof for game viewing.
- For your personal comfort and enjoyment, we provide ONLY well-maintained, clean, and air-conditioned safari vehicles.
- In case of a serious injury we supply Flying Doctors Insurance to evacuate you from any point within Tanzania.
- We are certified by The Tanzania Tourism Board (TTB) and Members of the Tanzania Association of Tour Operators (TATO).
- In partnership with Safaris With A Heart (a USA registered company specializing in charity tours) and Outreach Africa (a registered Tanzanian non-profit) we provide exceptional "travel with a purpose" experiences while funding charities globally. The mission of Outreach Africa is to inspire individuals, families, communities and organizations within Tanzania by providing means to self-sufficiency through education, sports, healthcare and employment. We manage dozens of projects including school library books, reading glasses, dental hygiene, distributing soccer balls throughout Tanzania, building a sports court for a girls secondary school, solar light/water filtration systems in remote villages near the shores of Lake Victoria, medical insurance to an orphanage in Bukoba…. We will bring your personal project to life!
- We promise you the trip of a lifetime!
Camping – On camping safari we use public camping sites, some of these are set in the wilderness and are supported with basic necessities only. During this Safari we use light tents for camping and we provide all other camping gears like mattresses, chairs, tables etc. Our cook travels with you and he takes care of all camping chores like cooking, washing dishes etc. You can give a helping hand.
Safari Lodges / Tented Camps – These are permanent structures, provide comfortable accommodation in specious rooms or big tents with private showers and toilets. Most of the lodges have modern amenities, e.g. swimming pools etc. There are now about two levels of luxury lodges in the national parks – that is Standard lodges and Middle class lodges.
Transport – On this Safari we’ll provide 1 special Safari Jeep - Land Rover 110 Tdi 4WD or Land Cruiser 4WD. The vehicle is fitted with a pop - up roof for game viewing and photographing. The vehicle carries 4person comfortably excluding the driver/guide and cook.
NOTE - Our drivers are also guides by qualifications. They are knowledgeable in flora, fauna and the Tanzanian Culture. You will have at least 6hours of game drive in the parks every day, taking in the best times. That is early morning game drives and evening game drives to Sunset.
Suggested Parking List – Non-synthetic comfortable fitting clothes (neutral colors and wrinkle free preferred); 2-3 long sleeves shirts and short sleeves shirts, shorts and long trousers, 1safari vest with several pockets, 1safari hat - pack able (wide rimmed for sun protection), jersey or safari jacket for evenings, several pairs of socks.
Others – Safari binoculars (kindly bring your own) Sleeping bag, Light weight safari shoes or trainers, sandals, sunglasses, sun creams, insect repellent creams, a light weight first aid kit, day pack for your cameras, rucksack for your safari gears and clothes.